Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L V8 4x4 and I just…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L V8 4x4 and I just replaced the knock sensors. Now I can start my truck and it sounds good but then starts to die. What could this be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

The knock sensors I replaced them it threw the code for the knock sensors so I replaced them now my truck starts then dies

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I replaced them put everything back together and now it starts then dies

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/16/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 11 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Does it die even if keeping foot on gas?

No if I have my foot on the gas it's good and it doesn't even die just acts like it

This usually means you have a dirty throttle body which is causing airflow restriction during closed throttle. When battery is disconnected it resets everything that is why it worked before, because vehicle slowly adapted to the dirty throttle body. So get throttle body cleaner, spray onto a rag, and wipe out throttle body/throttle plate good as possible. Let me know if you have questions, thanks .

Okay the throttle body underneath the throttle body manifold?

It is on front of engine, where intake tube connects to engine. What a carb on a older vehicle would look like.

Okay so that should be it? If that doesn't do it what would youbthink it is?

If that doesn't take care of problem I'd suspect that there is a vacuum leak somewhere such as gasket or vacuum line. You can use starting fluid to spray around vacuum lines and gaskets to see if idle changes, if so look in that area for leaks. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

What is the valve right above the throttle body

It sounds like you may be talking about the idle air control valve which is built into top/side of throttle body with a electrical connector going to it.

It has a plastic tube that runs down the driver side of the throttle body manifold I think that line has a crack in it and I need to replace it

That sounds like the PCV tube you are talking about. A picture would tell me for sure.

Actually it sounds more like the Evap line, here is a picture. You can block off port to see if it runs better if so that is the cause.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9wnq6jt87r0lso/evap.pdf?dl=0

Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 10 months ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.