Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Recently did some work on car. Changed the ignition housing,

Customer Question
Recently did some work...

Recently did some work on car. Changed the ignition housing, with new key and remote keyless entry, and new clock timer. Car won't start. Can you help

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Battery is good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

04 trailblazer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm fixing myself. I think it is locked out on the anti theft

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Chevy Mechanic: TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH replied 8 months ago
TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the key housing was replaced, then the key has to be reprogrammed into the computer, have you done this yet?

No have not done that
Someone said that it was not a chip key

the chip is in the key housing, but you can do this yourself, are you ate the vehicle now?

Is this something I can do myself or

yes, are you at the vehicle now?

No, but I can be

let me know when you ar at the vehicle, and I can walk you through it,Tim

Ok I'm at the car

ok, when the key is insert and the ignition turned on, is there a security light on, or a security message displayed?

No but the engine light is on

There should be an antitheft light flashing or on, in the dash??

No

ok, turn the key to the start position and let it come back to the run position, and see if a light comes on?

ok, the light above your oil pressure gauge should be the security light, first close the drivers door, and insert the ky, then try to start it, and let it come back to the run position, then keep it there, after about 10 minutes the light will go out, and then turn the key off for 5 seconds, adn then try to start it, can you do this?

I can. I will contact you when it's done

let me know,Tim

Did not start. Same lights

ok, why did you replace the key housing to start with?

It was drilled out and gear was broke off in the ignition housing

ok, I am worried about the security light, it should be right next to the check engine light, on the left hand side of the cluster, it should come on for 2 seconds when the ey is turn on, then go out when the computer sees the signal, but I dont see it in your pictures?

No it does not come on. Could it be something else?

that going to be yur problem, was the vehicle stolen?? Why was the key lock drilled out?

I let someone borrow my car and they lost the only key that I had. I'm going to take responsibility for this. I was the retard that drilled the lock cause I was trying to be cheap and see that it has costed me more at this point.

ok, did you replace the whole housing, and lock cylinder?

Also I broke the clock timer when taken it off, but replaced it with a new one

there is a 3 wire connector at the lock housing, have you made sure it is connected? and none of the wires are damaged?

the wires are connected. Is there anyway I can check the wires to see if they are good?
Those wires look like they go to the ignition plug on the bottom where the gear is. Is it possible that piece is bad? Where the wires go into. A plug on the bottom of the ignition housing where the gear turns

the wires go into the keylock housing, the new housing has a new set of wires, did you replace this housing?

yes, that is it, does the yellow wire have 12 volts, when the key is on?

Only has 5v
Hi Tim are you still there?

did you check this with the connector installed on the housing, or with it disconnected?

Checked it disconnected
I also checked the plug on the ignition starter plug and I'm getting 12v there

ok, this wire is suppose to have 12 volts, it comes from the BCM, body control module, if it only has 5 volts, then the BCM is bad and will need to be replaced,Tim

Please take the time to rate me so I can get paid for helping, the question will stil stay open, and you can come back and ask follow up questions at no charge, thanks,Tim

TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH