Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Working on a 2013 Chevy express 3500 with a 6.0 L gas

engine. Check engine light is...
Working on a 2013 Chevy express 3500 with a 6.0 L gas engine. Check engine light is on pulling code P0455 and P219A
9/15/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

P0455 means you have a evap leak, usually means the purge solenoid, vent solenoid, or gas cap is leaking in that order. P219A means fuel trim is lean which would indicate a vacuum leak, here is a list of things to check. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

• Inspect the air induction system for modified, damaged, leaking, or restricted components.
  • Inspect the crankcase ventilation system for improper operation.
  • Inspect the vacuum hoses for splits, kinks, and improper connections.
  • Test for a restricted, damaged, leaking, or modified exhaust system from the catalytic converter forward.
  • Inspect for vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, the throttle body, and the injector O-rings.
  • Test the fuel injectors for improper operation.
  • Test for fuel contamination.
  • Test for excessive fuel in the crankcase due to leaking injectors.
  • Test the ignition system for improper operation.
This vehicle has 350,000 miles on it. It has been meticulously owned and maintained with a one owner, oil changes every 5000 miles. Any other recommendations based on the mileage?

How does vehicle run? Does it idle rough or lack power under hard acceleration?

It idles lightly rough like it has a misfire. It has plenty of power on the test drive. We hooked up our snap on scanner and did a cylinder contribution test and all of the cylinders look perfect with not one single misfire. We did find that the fuel cap will not click when we tighten it in the seal looks old so I'm pretty sure that is defective. Where should we head next?

These two codes are unrelated. First one the same thing I said would apply and 2nd code most likely means you have a vacuum leak if it idles rough but has good power while driving. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

That looks like a pressure switch for AC which would be unrelated to problems.

Where exactly are we looking in the picture? Can you take another picture further away? Thanks.

Dan this picture is the sensor and the two lines that run right in front of the sensor are going to the oil cooler for the oil filter. We replaced the gas cap and plug in the center and have been testing the vehicle for a couple days now and we can't get the light to come back on however if you can help me look at my fuel trims on the scan tool to know what I'm looking for to identify a vacuum leak I would appreciate it

If fuel trim is good at idle but higher under hard acceleration this points toward restricted filter or fuel pump. If high at idle but good under hard acceleration this would point toward a vacuum leak. If high either way then mass airflow sensor or oxygen sensor. Let me know if you have more questions, please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Dan, Technician