Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an open circuit on my passenger seat belt tensioner…

Customer Question
I have an open...

I have an open circuit on my passenger seat belt tensioner and cannot trace the green/white and brown wires any further than where the bundle goes under the console...

Mechanic's Assistant: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?

It was hit in the right side, repairs are complete, seat replaced with tensioner but car still says open circuit.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2015 Equinox LT 4cyl AWD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?

YEs, have even put a test resistor in the plug at tensioner, still open circuit

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/16/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 9 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Is it open, or is it shorted? Have you verified the open circuit with a multimeter, or are you relying on the SDM information?

Open according to my Foxwell NT624. I had airbag control module rebuilt by myairbags.com so I believe it is ok...

Understood. I would test this circuit with a multimeter and confirm what the SDM is reporting, that would be the first step. Never assume the module is correct, verify the circuit condition.

If I knew where to put multi-meter in the harness I would but do not have a wiring diagram. Like I said the harness leaves the seat area and goes under the console - need to know where I could test the circuit...
I would even bypass the seat belt tensioner if I knew where to go to do that.

OK, I understand now.

I would disconnect the SDM and test from that connector. That's where the circuit starts and ends, so it makes sense to just test it at the same place the SDM is looking at it.

Unplug SDM and unplug pretensioner. Pins 15 and 16 at the SDM connector go to the RF pretensioner. I do not believe there is a shorting bar in the car side of that connector; you'll have to look at it and determine that. What I mean by that is this: in airbag systems, GM puts shorting bars in the connectors, but typically on the restraint side, not the module side. What this does is prevent accidental deployment by shorting the two circuits together. Like I said, I don't think there is one on the pretensioner connector, but give it a look and be sure.

You can test this circuit right from the SDM connector. See attached schematic for pin locations on this.

Looking at the wiring diagram you sent, it appears I could unplug connector x310 and it would close the circuit. At the very least I will try that, then I will go back into the console again and check at the SDM but this will take some time (probably mid week) before I have time to do that - thanks for your help so far, and the wiring diagram! Do you know the correct resistor value for the Pretensioners and Impact sensors so I could test them as well?

You should not run a multimeter across any of the inflators or sensors.

How else can I find out where my circuit if open? I figure there should be about 2.5 or 3 ohms across any good sensor or inflator, with the battery disconnected, right?

The danger of running a meter across an airbag is that it might deploy, because the meter puts out a small voltage on the circuit.

You can find out if the circuit is open by jumpering the two pins on the connector at the inflator, then put your meter leads on the two pins at the SDM side. If the circuits are good, you'll read less than 5 ohms, and probably closer to 1 ohm.

Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 8 months ago

Did you get this worked out?