Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Its not starting security light is on its not a chip key,

Customer Question

its not starting security light is on its not a chip key
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: solid
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2005 chevy cobalt
JA: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am didn't try anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope thats it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

if you follow this here will it start the 30 minute relearn procedure ?

30-Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes , the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes . The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know how to reset the system
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

follow what i just sent to you and see if it will start

if it does NOT then the ignition switch is bad and needs to be replaced as seen here

then after the new one is put in then you do the relearn one more time to learn the new ignition switch

the ignition switch is what reads the theft codes

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer