GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2001 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 with a 4L460 trans.I

Customer Question

I have a 2001 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 with a 4L460 trans.I just replaced the trans. with a re-manufactured one and it wont shift up.The speedometer also does not work and the ABS light is on and it says there is no rear speed sensor.Any ideas PLEASE?
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: just ABS.
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried testing the resistance of the speed sensors, and I just double checked the wiring.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

What was wrong with the old transmission? Did the speedo work with the old trans?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
something inside it let go, It would not back up and was making alot of noise, but the speedometer worked.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

So you installed another transmission and did not have yours rebuilt correct? The vss " vehicle speed sensor" is mounted into the transfer case not the transmission. Was the transfer case replaced as well?