Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2007 Chevrolet Malibu. At times the stater just clicks.

Customer Question

2007 Chevrolet Malibu. At times the stater just clicks. After a couple clicks it will start. I have had the starter and ignition switch replaced with no change. Whats a wiring diagram look like on this circuit. 2.4 4cyl a/t
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

If starter clicks this means problem is starter 95% of time, your new starter is possibly the problem. To know for sure you will need to monitor power on both of the wires going to starter during problem, they should both show at least 11v with key in start position and case should have good ground. If all are good this means starter is the problem. Depending on which one has low voltage that would point toward connection problem somewhere on that circuit. Here is a wiring diagram, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm20pbrcxm12dr8/st.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The starter works every time if I use my push button ran directly from battery to solenoid.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I would replace starter relay if that hasn't already been done, beyond that some testing is going to need to be done to see where voltage is dropping then repair connection as needed. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Swapped that relay with one of the same in the fuse box
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I'd have battery tested also. Next step is monitoring voltage going to relay and leaving relay during problem and seeing if voltage is low. I would also check connectors at fuse box for loose pins or corrosion. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Battery is new to. Where do I check voltage on relay. What grounds the curcuit
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

if you remove the starter relay do 2 terminals show 12 volts that the relay plugs into in the fuse box ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One is hot with key on and the other is hot as soon as the key is turned over
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

at the starter does the small wire show 12 volts when you hold the key to crank ?

and does the big battery cable at the starter show 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
11.75 when it starts. When it clicks only theres only 7-9volts
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

at the big or the small at the starter ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Small
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

that should be enough to lock the solenoid

if the 2 at the fuse box you tested test like you said they did then the starter itself is bad causing this issue

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thwn why is the voltage at 7 - 9 volts when its clicking
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

the starter solenoid is drawing too many amps then the solenoid hits its bad stop causing that voltage drop

all the tests you did show the starter has what it should to crank over

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One more question. If I use the remote button it cranks every time.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

still all signs are saying starter

the remote activates the relay the same the ignition switch does

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No relay activates. Hooked up from solenoid to battery
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

what ?

when does no relay activate ?

you said the starter just clicks nothing about the relay not activating

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When i use a manual start button. It hooks direct to the battery and solenoid.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

and at that time the starter will click with the key but you push the button and it cranks right over ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

at this point again with the tests you did are showing the stater is bad

try a new starter