Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have no low beam headlights on my 2012 2500 Silverado.

Customer Question

I have no low beam headlights on my 2012 2500 Silverado. That said I replaced the lamps. Still no lights fuse looks ok. Thus is there a relay on the lights? What should I check?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gunvir Singh replied 1 month ago.

HEllo, let me review your request. Please standby.

Attached is the underhood fusebox index and headlamp relay is marked in red.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
See it how would I test that relay.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thanks on the phone call just send written directions. I'm in a continuing education class tonight so won't test till morning

A relay tester will be needed to test it but it will be easier to swap it with a similar relay.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I'll pick up a new one and see if that solves the problem

Do you not have a similar relay on the fuse box to swap for test?

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent auto mechanic and do not work at or for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me .

3. I only get credit for my work from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I changed the relay low beam lights still do not work!

I am offline for the day. I will let another expert assist you.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Check if you have voltage at both of the low beam fuses with the headlights on low beam. that would be #12 and #16 in the underhood fuse block.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

here is that Headlights Circuit .

If there is no voltage at those fuses, try temporarily jumping the pink/white wire from the low beam relay to ground and see if it works now.

If so, hook the wire back up and this time ground the yellow wire from the bcm to the dimmer switch to ground and check again if the low beams now work.

If so the dimmer switch is most likely bad. If it still don't work but it did work when jumping to ground that pink/white wire then the problem is with the bcm.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've tried your suggestions and still no low beam head lights. Changed dimmer switch and head light control switch along with relay at this point. All fuses are good and lamps are new as well what next.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have no engin lights on or faults.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

I don't see where you tried any of my suggestions!

It appears you just looked at the fuses to see if they were blown or not. That was not the point behind checking them for voltage.

I didn't see you mention that you jumped any wires like I asked, instead you just replaced the dimmer switch before doing any of the tests I asked.

I never mentioned changing the headlight control switch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Without the truck running I'm getting 8 volts at the fuse.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Which fuse and why is it only 8 volts? What is the voltage at the battery?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

I mentioned 2 fuses, the #12 and #16 in the underhood fuse block, so which fuse, why didn't you also test the other fuse and why is it only 8 volts? Is the battery dead?