Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 Chevy 2500 HD. My AC blower shuts down when I come to a…

Customer Question
2005 Chevy 2500 HD. My...
2005 Chevy 2500 HD. My AC blower shuts down when I come to a stop and starts again when I take off. Usually only happens when it is a hot day. Should I start with adding Freon?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/11/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 11 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the air flow still the same speed coming from the vents but the issue is the air goes from cold to warm at a stop?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Hi Pete. The airflow stops and then starts again when I take off. The temp stays cold but it does feel like it is not as cold as it should be.

O.k.,I just want to make sure it is the actual amount of air coming out that stops or if it is the temp of the air that goes from cold to hot or warm when this happens.

Let me know,thanks Pete

the amount of air coming out completely stops until I start driving again.

Does the blower fan still sound like it is running at full speed or do you hear it slow down as well when coming to or at a stop?

Sounds like the blower fan stops....the air stops coming out....then I take off and it resumes working.

O.k.,this wont be a freon issue here.This sounds like the blower is losing voltage for some reason when slowing.The most common cause on this model here is the blower regulator/control module located under the dash on the passenger side near the blower motor itself.This regulator tends to fail or act up causing this issue.In some cases the blower motor itself can draw to many amps to where the blower regulator and blower motor needs replaced.

If you have a test light or multi meter we can try to do some testing to pinpoint which is the cause here just let me know.I am leaning more on the blower regulator needing replaced as this is usually most common.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete