kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

K you are a professional so you cant laugh.. I am asking for

K you are a professional so you cant laugh.. I am asking for a friend ( humor) I bought a new motorbike and drained the fuel out of the tank but we determined it was new fuel.
I used a windshield wiper fluid container. Of course I figured I would throw his into my truck ad use it up. So of course when I go to do this I discover after pouring about 1.5 liters into my tank this is a container of Windshield deicer in the same sort of container. So the tank was about 1/3 full. I figured best case scenario I could dilute this by filling the tank. So truck does run rough at low rpm but seems ok at highway speed.
I thought I would do some experimentation and do a sample in a clear bottle and add some gas and again a portion of the deicer. It definitely separates. So I added some Methyl Hydrate ( it already has some methyl hydrate in the deicer)Anyway the deicer is diluted but still not mixing 100% with the gasoline. Can I get by with adding methyl hydrate and trying to run this all through the truck or should I go to the expense of draining the gas tank?
it is a 2003 Chev 3/4 ton gas 6.0 L motor

What I would do would be to disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter, and jump the relay for the fuel pump and pump out about 5 gallons of fuel. Make sure to let the tank sit for at least 2 hours so the fuel can rise to the top, leaving all the not wanted liquid to settle to the bottom. Then take a sample of the fuel left in the tank and see how much bad liquid settles to the bottom.

The fuel pump picks up off of the bottom of the tank, so it should pull almost all of the bad liquid out first. You do not want to run washer fluid through the injectors. It can cause them to corrode.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you send me some diagrams on where the pump is and also where and how to jump the fuel pump

The fuel pump is in the gas tank itself. The fuel pump relay is in the fuse box under the hood. The best way to jump the relay will be to remove the top off of it so you can push the activation lever to apply power top the fuel pump. Let me see what diagrams and pics I have that will help you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
were you not able to find any diagrams

I am sorry I was not able to. Look in the fuse box under the hood. The fuel pump relay is in the fuse box. There are two bigger relays in the center. The fuel pump relay is the smaller relay on the next row.

If you pull the relay out and look at the bottom, you will see where the black top clips onto the bot***** ***** plastic. Use a small screw driver to pull the top plastic lock over the white part on both sides and the top will come off. You will see on one side of the inside of the relay a piece that you can push in that is spring loaded. When you put the relay back in and push it in, the fuel pump will be activated as long as you hold the piece in.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bought the fuel line disconnect tool kit how do I release pressure in the fuel line before I start?

How long has the ignition switch been left off? If it has been over 4 hours, there will be little to no pressure on the line.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it better to do this at the filter or up in the engine compartment should probable drain the filter anyway

You should replace the filter, so I would open the line up there. At the engine it will be hard to do, but the line will drain back to the filter line once you open it so the line will be drained as well.