sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

2001 prizm..when i turn fan on the ac compresdor kicks on

Customer Question

2001 prizm..when i turn fan on the ac compresdor kicks on even though ac switch is off.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: No i havent. Would that cause this issue?
JA: Are you fixing your Prizm yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I havent tried anything yet. I have also been toldmy ac compresdor clutch needs replacing. Its makes noise when not engaged.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That about it i guess
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If there is noise from the a/c compressor it may be internal or it could be from the clutch pulley bearing. It's remotely possible that the bearing has enough play that the pulley is cocking and dragging on the clutch plate, making it appear that the compressor has been commanded on.

What mode setting are you using when turning the blower motor on and expecting to not see the compressor running?