kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Trying to get timing without timing light on a 305 chevy 83,

Customer Question

Trying to get timing without timing light on a 305 chevy 83
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: Tried doing it by ear but wont start when its hot
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

There is an easy way to do this. Pull the cap off of the distributor. Turn the crank till cylinder one is up on a compression stroke and set the timing mark on the ballancer to 8 degrees before top dead center. Now look under the rotor button. You will see a ring with 8 points on it and in the center of the distributor there is a wheel with points on it. Turn the distributor till the points are pointing at each other. Then tighten the distributor back down and put the cap back on. The timing is now set correctly. As long as the vacuum advance pod is good, the engine should run correctly.