GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Have 1995 Chevy 1500 4 x 4 pickup. 5 speed manual trans.

Customer Question

have 1995 Chevy 1500 4 x 4 pickup . 5 speed manual trans . have no break light's . there is a rod that run's through the switch that SHOULD push down on a tab that closes a normal open set of open contacts and light's the break lights . with the switch installed and locked in place the break lights don't work when the break peddle is pushed . with the switch removed i can push the contacts closed and the break lights work . i tried a new replacement switch , and still have the same problem . HELP.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: NO WHY ?
JA: What is the model of your '95 Chevy?
Customer: 1500 SILVER
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I JUST TOLD YOU IT'S TO DO WITH THE BREAK SWITCH
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Sorry, the first few replies are automated to try and get some basic information.

With the switch installed, are you able to move the switch a little bit and make the lights work? I saw your comment about manually activating it, so I am wondering if there is a mis-shaped brake push rod that could be not activating it.

Also is the clip installed properly that holds it in place?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
clip is installed properly by mechanic . didn't try moving the switch . only 125000 miles on truck . could push rod be flatspoted ?

It could be that the push rod is worn a bit. Do you know if the booster was ever replaced?

I have seen a combination of both a bad/worn switch AND mis-shaped push rod causing this sort of issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just replaced the booster

Bingo, the rod is not the proper shape, you need to get them to replace it due to the issue, it should be warranty.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, used booster. i'll get them to replace it

Sounds like a plan. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thanks