Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1994 c1500.. Trans won't shift past 1-2 gears.. Speedo

Customer Question
1994 c1500.. Trans won't...

1994 c1500.. Trans won't shift past 1-2 gears.. Speedo erratic.. Up and down.. Trans and speedo work sometimes.. But less and less often.. Changed solenoids and speed sensor on trans.. Didn't help.. New trans pc??? One behind glove box ..

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Haven't checked switches.. Probable???

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '94 Chevy?

C1500, extra cab.. 2wd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?

Solenoids replace.. Speed sensor replacement..

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
Chevy Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 8 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Thanks, Ron

Changed solenoids.. New fresh oil.. Level good.. Changed speed sensor.. Maybe brake switch or brake fuse???

Couldn't be a switch or a fuse, has to be something with the valve body or clutches then.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

What about speedo not working..?? Clutches or solenoids cause that .. All started at once!!

They are not related to each other on that year. If they were, the cluster would be bad.

just coincidence.??? Bad cluster then also?? Thought pc and speed sensor activated solenoids to shift trans???.. Tcu, that is..

I said that your vehicle is too old for the cluster to be a controller, and yes, it could be a coincidence. TCU is possible, that's why the tests i told you about are critical.

I’ve been in the auto repair industry since 1975 and have made many improvements over
the years pertaining to proper repairs. I also share this knowledge in the classrooms I
instruct in around the country, teaching for large companies who offer high-end training
to repair shop technicians.
It all starts with listening to the customer’s complaint, confirming it and finally doing all
the needed tests to locate the problem. All these tests require thousands of dollars worth
of specialized equipment that were designed and produced for the professional
technician. So when I recommend something for you to do, though it may seem silly to
you, please trust that I’ve “been there and done that” before. Getting a baseline is critical.
Once this is done, then I confirm what I have found wrong instead of throwing parts at it,
to be sure the problem I see is NOT camouflaged by something else.
Just like when you go to the doctor’s office for a visit, they take all your vital signs such
as; blood pressure, body temperature, weight, pulse etc.
This is my approach as well, except with the cars vital signs instead. I do everything
possible to NOT leave any stones unturned because it can cause you to misdiagnose the
problem or chase your tail.
I see so many people replace everything between the bumpers to no avail and spend
money they could have saved, if they only paid for a good diagnosis.
Sad to say, I even see people offering help to someone else by just telling them what the
parts are they should replace. Ouch!! These cars are all high tech, no room for guesswork.
When the check engine light or any lights illuminate in the instrument cluster, something
is obviously wrong, and there is not a code reader on the planet that will tell you what’s
wrong, they will only give you a code that is related to the part/circuit in question. These
parts stores check codes for free, for what reason? Hmm!

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.

Sooo.. I take to tranny shop, have them do tests.. Why should I pay u.. The purpose Im talking to u is to not get charged 200-300*dollars at a transmission shop.. And get the old, " u need transmission rebuild ". You understand?? Put yourself in my shoes .!!! Do u know if any model tcu will work on this truck or do the serial #'s have to match..??? QWL 16159045.

We can't avoid the truth, and we trust you with our information so you will do the right thing with me. So you're telling me you're not going to pay me, yet you ask another question about the TCU?.

Go ahead and rate me 5 stars now and I'll surely get back to you.

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor