Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I purchased a 2003 Carlo and was told that a 2005 Grand Am

Customer Question

I purchased a 2003 Monte Carlo and was told that a 2005 Grand Am engine and transmission was put into it. I learned today that the Engine Control Module is still from the 2003 Monte Carlo. How do I know for sure that the current engine is really what the previous owner said it was? The number on the engine is (1)? 24503123 with CAV underneath it. I need to know what type of engine is really there, before I spend money on the ECM. The car was taken to the shop for what we had been told from 2 other mechanics was transmission trouble. The 3rd mechanic replaced the acceleration sensor and said it was not a transmission problem. He saw that some wiring was not correct and the ECM was from the 2003 Monte Carlo.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: I am not asking about a sensor. I want to know how to identify the engine that is in the car now.
JA: Are you fixing your Monte Carlo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I am not trying to fix it myself. I have taken it to 4 mechanics. The last one today said it was not a transmission problem. A computer was put on it and it was driven around until the problem showed up. The mechanic said that the acceleration sensor was giving the transmission wrong information. The engine's rpm would change even when stopped at a traffic light. The acceleration sensor was replaced. The mechanic said that the problem with the sensor may have been caused by having a Monte Carlo ECM on a Grand Am engine. All I want to know is how to prove that it is really a Grand Am engine in the car, since we have discovered that the previous owner has not been truthful with us about the car. We couldn't be sure if the number on the engine block started with the number 1 or if the entire number was 24503123 with CAV under it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is what we have been told by the 4th mechanic today about getting another ECM sound reasonable? We have had this car for a month, and it seems like it has been one problem after another. We have to decide whether to invest more money into it or to cut our losses and get something else.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

This number is ***** coming up in any of my gm engine block serial number lookups. It does come up as a valid gm part number for intake manifold.

Did you get this number off the engine block near the transmission or from the manifold