Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

08 chevy colbalt cant bleed rear brakes, 160th no, ls, in…

Customer Question
08 chevy colbalt cant...

08 chevy colbalt cant bleed rear brakes

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?

160th no

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Chevy?

Ls

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

In our shop portion valve ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/6/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 8 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

with or without abs???

why are you bleeding the brakes???

abs no fluid coming out rear brakes when bleeding frount ok

did you do any repairs to the rear before this???

new brakes ft &rear portioning valve bad?
no

no, since you have abs, it is inside the abs assembly. you need to have the abs bled to be sure there is no air in the system there. you need a scan tool to perform this procedure. below is the procedure and you have done the manual bleed already.

Antilock Brake System Automated Bleed Procedure

Caution: Refer to Brake Fluid Irritant Caution .

Notice: Refer to Brake Fluid Effects on Paint and Electrical Components Notice .

Important: Before performing the ABS Automated Bleed Procedure, first perform a manual or pressure bleed of the base brake system. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Pressure) (See: Brake Bleeding > Procedures)Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Manual) (See: Brake Bleeding > Procedures) . The automated bleed procedure is recommended when one of the following conditions exist:

* Base brake system bleeding does not achieve the desired pedal height or feel

* Extreme loss of brake fluid has occurred

* Air ingestion is suspected in the secondary circuits of the brake modulator assembly

The ABS Automated Bleed Procedure uses a scan tool to cycle the system solenoid valves and run the pump in order to purge any air from the secondary circuits. These circuits are normally closed off, and are only opened during system initialization at vehicle start up and during ABS operation. The automated bleed procedure opens these secondary circuits and allows any air trapped in these circuits to flow out toward the brake corners.

Performing the Automated Bleed Procedure

Notice: The Auto Bleed Procedure may be terminated at any time during the process by pressing the EXIT button. No further Scan Tool prompts pertaining to the Auto Bleed procedure will be given. After exiting the bleed procedure, relieve bleed pressure and disconnect bleed equipment per manufacturers instructions. Failure to properly relieve pressure may result in spilled brake fluid causing damage to components and painted surfaces.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
2. Remove all four tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
3. Inspect the brake system for leaks and visual damage. Refer to Symptoms - Hydraulic Brakes (See: Hydraulic System, Brakes > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Symptoms - Hydraulic Brakes) . Repair or replace components as needed.
4. Lower the vehicle.
5. Inspect the battery state of charge. Refer to Battery Inspection/Test .
6. Install a scan tool.
7. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
8. With the scan tool, establish communications with the ABS system. Select Special Functions. Select Automated Bleed from the Special Functions menu.
9. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
10. Following the directions given on the scan tool, pressure bleed the base brake system. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Pressure) (See: Brake Bleeding > Procedures)Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Manual) (See: Brake Bleeding > Procedures) .
11. Follow the scan tool directions until the desired brake pedal height is achieved.
12. If the bleed procedure is aborted, a malfunction exists. Perform the following steps before resuming the bleed procedure:

* If a DTC is detected, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle , and diagnose the appropriate DTC.
* If the brake pedal feels spongy, perform the conventional brake bleed procedure again. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Pressure) (See: Brake Bleeding > Procedures)Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Manual) (See: Brake Bleeding > Procedures) .

13. When the desired pedal height is achieved, press the brake pedal to inspect for firmness.
14. Lower the vehicle.
15. Remove the scan tool.
16. Install the tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
17. Inspect the brake fluid level. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling (See: Brake Master Cylinder > Procedures > Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling) .
18. Road test the vehicle while inspecting that the pedal remains high and firm.

any update??

Roy
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest