Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just purchased a used 2011 Chevy EQUINOX one week ago

I just purchased a...

I just purchased a used 2011 Chevy EQUINOX one week ago today from a dealership. Three days after leaving the dealership with said vehicle, battery symbol was displayed on dash, and battery save mode was activated. I then bought a brand new battery and replaced it. The following day while driving, I got the same message. What are the other options I can replace?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

The battery is now brand new.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am, for what I can do. I havent tried anything else thus far. Wondering if it could be altenator, or a fuse

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time. I just need help!! LOL

9/2/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Most of the time the issue is the alternator and not the battery. Since the light is on that indicates that the fuse is ok. I would run it either back to the dealer and have them replace the alternator, or head to a parts store and ask to have the charging system tested. If the alternator is producing less then 14.2 volts under load it needs to be replaced.

Under load means with the headlights, wipers and blower motor all on.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

I contacted the dealership on Wednesday, which is 4 days after purchasing the vehicle. They told me to not be hasty ( Yeah, nice reply!) So for today- I should be concerned of the alternator? And obviously replace it if its under 14.2
IF IT PASSES TEST, WHAT WOULD BE HE NEXT STEP?

Then it would be a wiring issue from the alternator to the computer and instrument panel. 99% of the time however the issue is the alternator. Some of these do have issue with the instrument cluster, however when that's the problem, usually all of the gauges fail.

From your experience, are these difficult to replace? This is the newest vehicle I have had. I usually purchase older vehicles before everything was by computer. Being a single mom of 3, I try and do most of the work myself to save on money.

Is this the 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder engine?

Ummm... I think 6. Its a 2.4L

Thanks, that's the 4 cylinder engine.

This one is fairly easy, the labor guide is only looking for an hours labor to replace it. It's bolted right to the front of the engine.

Yeh, I just read that its a 4!! Haha, sorry!!

lol, no problem at all. This is really a fairly easy one to change. You will probably have more issues with the belt then the alternator. Might be best to go through the wheel well to get the belt off.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

One more question. Do I replace belt with new one as well, and does it come with one or do I have to purchase one also?
You have been very helpful and reassuring that this will fix my issue. Thank you so very much!!

You would have to purchase a new belt, but that really depends on the condition of the old belt. If the belt has cracks in it, replace it. If not no worries.

You are very welcome!

Is there any problems with purchasing a re manufactured alternator? Because the prices for this and new are close to and over $200....YIKES!!

It's a real good question. I personally haven't had much luck with aftermarket alternators.

You might do better with a used one to be honest. The aftermarket and remans sometimes only put out 13 volts. That just isn't enough.

YIKES!!! OK. I guess, I will start calling junk yards!! Again, Thank you so much!

You're very welcome.

Please remember to rate my answer and best of luck with this!

I would still have it tested and contact the dealership. Let them foot the bill if possible.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician