Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Both front turn signals are not working but the rear is,

Customer Question
Both front turn signals...

Both front turn signals are not working but the rear is

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

Where is it located under hood or side panel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2009 cobalt lt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing myself tried to find fused s not marked real good

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could it be in the turn signal arm

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
8/25/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Here I am providing the electrical information for the turn signals to give you a visual. If both front head lamps are out, then the issue that you are having is going to be either a faulty connection near the fuse box at C1 or the BCM is faulty. The front headlamp circuits separate almost as soon as it leaves the fuse(getting power from the park/lamp fuse. If the fuse was bad, then the back lights would not work either. This leaves the wiring and the BCM to inspect. The likely cause is going to be a faulty connection.

Turn Signal Lamps

The body control module (BCM) is responsible for controlling the turn signals and hazard lamps. When the turn signal switch is placed in either the left turn or right turn position, the BCM receives a signal from the turn signal switch. The BCM then sends an on-off voltage signal to either the left or right turn signals and their instrument panel cluster (IPC) indicator. When the hazard switch is pressed, the BCM receives a signal from the hazard switch. The BCM then will send an on-off voltage signal to all the turn signal lamps. All the turn signal lamps will flash including both IPC turn signal indicators.

Here, I am attaching testing and inspection information for the turn signals.

You first need to have the vehicle scanned for codes. The code provided will identify the problematic area. Once you know the area, then you will be correct the fault. Be sure to check for power and ground at both bulbs. The brown wire at each connector is the power wire.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician