Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Fliled the truk up with fuel on way home fuel gage stopped

fliled the truk up with fuel on way home fuel gage stopped working and went to empty about 15 minutes later the check engine light came on truck runs good every thing else works. it is 2007 chev silverado
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: both stay on
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I dont know if I can do it myself I have not tried anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have to get my daughter from practiceaat 9*****about 40 miles round trip should I do this

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Since you filled the truck, you know it has enough gas in it. You shouldn't have any problems picking up your daughter. The fuel sending unit has likely stopped working. This will cause a code for the fuel level sensor, usually a P0463 and you will likely have to replace the sending unit, but as far as running it 40 miles, that's really not going to be a problem for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the check enging light being on also wont hurt anything till I can take in in tomorrow to get fixed. and I clicked on my free trial could you stop that and just charge the 5.00 dollar charge thanks

I can't do anything with that so contact customer service to get you squared away. I am just a user, just like you.

As for the truck, that is correct. The light will come on as soon as the fuel sending unit stops reading. As long as the truck is running normally you will not have any problems.