Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My shifter just flops around like it is not connected to

anything this is on a...
my shifter just flops around like it is not connected to anything this is on a 2005 aveo with a manual transmission
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No the clutch had been acting fine until this happened
JA: Are you fixing your Aveo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no this happened about a month ago on my way home, I was able to drive home in 3rd gear and i have not moved it since it was tough getting into the garage in 3rd gear
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
8/21/2017
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** am currently dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

You have 2 cables that are connected to the shift lever and to the top of the transmission. FIrst thing you should do is to make sure the cables are connected to the transmission. Next, have someone verify that the cables are moving at the transmission when you are working the shift lever. If they are not, then you are going to have to remove the floor console around the shifter and take a look and see what is going on down there.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate .

Understand it's not one response and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also work for Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate my efforts.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

is this easy to do myself or should i just take it to a shop and if so how much do you think this will cost me
no call necessary just an answer

I would not say easy, but it is not very difficult. Depends on your skill level. Taking it to a shop it should not cost very much if new cables are needed. The cables are about 60 dollars and it is about 2 hours of labor to replace.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

in your opinion does this sound like it is not a clutch problem

It very well could be a clutch problem but you would generally have a "different" feeling in the clutch pedal. You are saying the shifter does not feel right. If you have a bad clutch you should still be able to pull the trans out of third gear into neutral.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

I can go in and out of third gear but as for the other gears the shifter is just kind of floppy like there is nothing there

That is why you first need to verify if it appears the shift cables on the transmission are moving when the shifter inside is moving. That will indicate if they are physically connected. If they are connected the a clutch or a slave cylinder issue could be where you are going with this.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

ok Thank you, ***** ***** like a job for the shop, I just wanted to have a feeling for what could be the problem instead of them just telling me i need a new clutch or worse, a new transmission. I will see if they say anything about clutch cables? Are there any other questions I should ask once they give me an answer?

The only thing would be that if they say you need a clutch then you may want to ask if they will have the flywheel turned. It is at an extra cost but makes the job much nicer and makes the new clutch engage much smoother.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Thank you, ***** ***** rate this now

Ok you are welcome. Have a great evening and feel free to come back whenever if you have more questions on this. Thanks..

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician