Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My Z06 was idling outside. When I returned outside the car

Hello, My Z06 was idling...
Hello, My Z06 was idling outside. When I returned outside the car was off and all the coolant has spilled out. The coolant reservoir has huge hole in it. It will not start like it isn't getting any compression.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes Totally charged. No visual signs of blown head gasket either.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2006 Corvette Z06
JA: Are you fixing your Corvette yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Done typical post overheating check. At this point I can remove the spark plugs to check for coolant leakage, but seems like all the coolant leaked out the hole in resevoir.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, everything is working fine -- just does not turn over.
8/19/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

So since this has happened, the engine cranks over but does not start?

Have you checked for spark while cranking?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Hello Amedee,
No I, unfortunately, do not have a spark tester at my home. I'm almost sure the engine went into "limp mode" before it turned off. I'm positive that some how pressure built up in the coolant resevoir, because there is a huge hole. Thinking the worst case is warped internals and best case is blown gasket (coolant presence & no compression.)

Good morning and thank you for that information.

If you are going to take matters into your own hands, you will need to invest into some equipment to diagnose this issue. I can certainly help with the theory and operation and point you in the right direction. However, without running some basic tests, we have no direction. I might as well guess as to what the issue could be. Would you like me to guess? I would be more than happy to do so. However, professional techs in the field do not guess. What happens when they do guess on something like this? unnecessary parts that are not needed get replaced. Expensive.. unnecessary parts nonetheless.

Now, I can certainly provide you with some possible causes. Some customers are happy and delighted that I have provided them with some possible causes based on my experience. However, as long as you are aware that there could be hundreds of things it could be and it would be nothing more than a guess. I would ask that you please don't get upset with me if my "guess" is not correct.

For your benefit, I recommend that we diagnose this no start issue the correct way. Remember, I am on your side and I would like to help you anyway I can. If you would like, we can speak on the phone and bounce some ideas off each other and I can point you in the right direction. I think you would get the most benefit from this over the phone.

Let me know.

Actually, I don't mind if you give your best guess. I am taking it to my mechanic on Tuesday so I will have it diagnosed with the proper equipment then. My thoughts are; removing the spark plugs and manually turning it will give me the reassurance that the internals are intact and that a blown gasket is probably the cause of compression loss (no start). When a vette overheats at idle does Chevy's programming shut the engine down after it goes into "limp mode" then "Overheat warning mode" or if it runs until something goes? I Just wanted to see if I am going in the right direction.

Hello!

When cranking the engine over, if it spins fast like there is no compression, this could be a sign of internal engine damage. Broken timing chain, cam or crankshaft.

No manufactures put in antyhing in theor computer system or programming where it shuts the engine down if it is too hot. They dont want the vehicle to stall out in the middle of the intersection where it could be the occupants of the vehicle at risk of a collision.

The coolant on the ground along should not prevent the engine from starting. The engine should still start and run even without coolant. Of course, it would overheat very quick, but nonetheless, it should still start. One thing I could see happening is if the electrical connections, wiring or sensors got coolant on them causing the engine to stall out and prevent it from starting again. Coolant and wiring/electrical do not mix together well. :)

You could check for spark, fuel and compression if you would like to get a jump on things before the vehicle goes into the shop. Checking for codes in the computer would also be a good idea.

You are more than welcome to call me or send me a video of the engine cranking so I can hear it.

THanks this helps alot. I did run codes and it said "Crank Shaft position Sensor "A". I think chevy uses this for both Misfire detection and Spark Timing and will prohibit the car from starting. Defering to the worse case, this may mean my timing belt is broken (I know there are at least 7 other possible causes) I really appreciate your help Amedee.

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN