AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

A 2000 Chevy Astro AWD Van: After sitting a day or so, maybe

A 2000 Chevy Astro AWD Van: After sitting a day or so, maybe more, it would not crank ... just turn over as if not getting gas. My local mechanic said that I needed a fuel pump and told me to turn the ignition key on several times before attempting to start, and that worked for a while. I am now wondering about the fuel pump because: after trying to start it for several days without success, I left it alone ... during this time it was raining daily and very humid. After the rain stopped and we had several days of sun, I just happened to try it again and it cranked. I cranked it daily for several days and then it rained again and, it would not crank. This morning it cranked again ... sun for several days. Is it the fuel pump (which is very expensive to replace)? Or would I waste $800 in a repair bill?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Don't know about a "wheel lock", but I have not messed with the gear lever ... I crank it just by standing outside and reaching in. In all of the above, the van has not been moved, other than a few feet in the driveway.
JA: Are you fixing your Astro yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not a mechanic. I am just concerned that spending $800, which is what I was told the fuel pump replacement would cost, will be a waste due to the variable cranking sessions.
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: Well, at least I will have another opinion. I tried to get a mobile mechanic to come out, and he questioned the fuel pump, but so far he has not made it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

No crank as is the starter DOES NOT CRANK or the starter cranks the engine over but it does not start?

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The phone is fine. Call me(###) ###-####