Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 chev cavalier 4s need exaust system is that bad.

2001 chev cavalier 4s...

2001 chev cavalier 4s need exaust system is that bad

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

120,000 want to buy this for kid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, nothing yet, owener info given

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is it worth 800.00

8/18/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

-Does this vehicle have the 2.2L or the 2.4L engine?

-Does it need the complete exhaust- from exhaust manifold to tail pipe?

2.4L engine minifold to tail pipe

Ok. Great. Thank-you. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding.

The exhaust isn't that bad to replace. Front pipe is around $94. Converter is around $103. Muffler is around $68. There are some gaskets and hardware in between which adds roughly another $18. And then an hour labor to install it all.

As for the vehicle itself- the Cavalier was always a good, strong, reliable vehicle. The 2.4L engine is a good solid engine. And with only 120,000 miles on it, it's still got a way to go. If you're going to pay $800 for it, this woul dbring it to around $1100 after exhaust. Which isn't that bad, but seeing as it needs a few hundred in repairs, might be worth trying to get the seller down to somewhere like $600 or $700. If you can end up around $1000 after repairs... that's a fair deal.

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -