Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Why won't my 1999 malibu not stay started and it starts then…

Why won't my 1999 malibu...
Why won't my 1999 malibu not stay started and it starts then dies it has no dash lights at all checked all fuses new battery new alternator new starter
8/18/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

What size engine do you have?

Does the check engine light come on with the key on for a bulb check?

No codes 3.1 and no lights no warning light no park reverse neutral drive on the dash work only rpms gas n temp and speedometer work
The car will start if I hit the gas but instantly die

I bet you have a faulty ignition switch. This is very common. The electrical part of the ignition switch goes bad causing a massive voltage drop which causes all of these electrical issues.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

How do you replace that because I was just gonna ask u could it be the ignition switch I heard it could be that and I believe it is

Your ignition switch is on the dash next to the column correct?

If so, I recommend to remove the instrument cluster.

Correct

I recommend to remove the instrument cluster.

OK done

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Do you have any further questions sir?

How do I get the cord connected I. Back of ignition switch that comes from it looks to be shifter off

So your replacing the ignition switch already?

You have not rated my answer yet sir.

You might want to check the switch before replacing it.

How

How do I check it

You would check for power in and out of the switch using a voltmeter.

No power how do I remove the 3 wires fro. The ignition switch

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Disable the SIR system.

With a small flat-bladed tool remove the ignition switch trim ring from ignition switch.

Remove the accessory trim plate from the IP carrier.

Remove the upper steering column trim cover from the steering column.

Replacement - On Vehicle in Steering Wheel and Column - Tilt.

Remove the instrument cluster trim plate from the IP carrier.

Remove the instrument panel cluster from the IP carrier.

Remove the ignition switch bolts from the ignition switch.

Disconnect the electrical connectors from the ignition switch.

Insert the key into the ignition switch lock cylinder. Rotate the key to the “ON” position.

Important: Ignition switch lock cylinder that won't rotate or is seized.

Follow the steps below 11.1 through 11.8 if ignition switch lock cylinder is seized or won't rotate.

1.1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.

1.2. Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location on the “rib” approximately 3/8 inch reward (toward the key entry end) from the cylinder release button.

1.3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8 inch drill bit.

1.4. Carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition switch lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a 9/32 inch drill bit.

1.5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.

1.6. Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove it from the switch housing.

1.7. Remove any plastic “flash” from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly.

1.8. Follow service manual procedures when cylinder recoding is required.

Depress the transaxle park/lock cable retainer to release, then pull to remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch.

Press the ignition switch lock cylinder release plunger. The release plunger is located at the four o'clock position on the ignition switch housing.

Use the key in order to pull the ignition switch lock cylinder from the ignition switch housing.

Disconnect the Pass Key electrical connector from the ignition switch housing.

Remove the ignition switch from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Install the ignition switch to the vehicle.

Connect the Pass Key electrical connector to the ignition switch housing.

Use the key in order to install the ignition switch lock cylinder to the ignition switch housing.

Important: Ignition switch lock cylinder that previously would not rotate or was seized.

Follow steps 4.1 through 4.3 below if the ignition switch lock cylinder previously removed was seized or would not rotate.

1.1. Install the new ignition switch lock cylinder as required by rotating both the cylinder and the ignition switch to the “ON” position.

1.2. Push the ignition switch lock cylinder into the ignition switch housing until fully seated.

1.3. It may be necessary to slightly depress the release button as it passes by the 9/32 inch hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.

Connect the park lock cable to the ignition switch housing.

Connect the electrical connectors to the ignition switch.

Install the ignition switch housing to the IP carrier.

Install the ignition switch bolts.

Tighten:

Tighten the ignition switch bolts to 2 [n-m] (18 lb in).

Install the instrument panel cluster to the IP carrier. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement.

Install the instrument panel cluster trim plate to the IP carrier.

Install the upper steering column trim cover to the steering column.

Install the accessory trim plate to the IP carrier.

Install the ignition switch trim ring to the ignition switch.

Enable the SIR system.

Connect the negative battery cable.

Perform the auto learn procedure. Refer to PASSLOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn in Theft Deterrent.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
I switched the ingintion switch out still nothing

Did you check the power in and out of the switch like we talked about?

I do not have a multi meter

Ok, then you will need to get one and test the switch.

If there if there is not power going to it then what

Then we pull a wiring diagram and trace down the power loss issue.

What controls the ignition switch ecu

The underhood fuse block.

I got it but one more quick question and in done how many threads are suppose to be showing on outer tie rods when tighten my came loose real bad some how and now one side has 16 and 13 thread count

It all depends on the type of tie rod used and how many threads were showing to being with.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN