Eddie
Eddie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 20 years professional experience in advanced engine controls and transmission rebuilding.
29534642

I keep burning up my distributor caps forcing my truck to

I keep burning up my distributor caps forcing my truck to run rough. Replaced everything electrical except wires (that's on the to do list) and my caps keep going bad after 1 drive, runs great then starts misfiring and such, I inspect the cap and it turns to garbage. Brand new distributor, everything.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: 320k lol, it's under load near 2nd gear.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: Its clean tho
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 95 k1500
JA: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 5.7
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I'm doin it myself

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay could use some help thx

Double check your engine ground straps. make sure the engine is grounded perfectly. If that looks good, then I would try another ignition coil and put the new wires on it. if the wires are old and have to much resistance that is what usually burns up the cap and rotor. But make sure the engine is really grounded good first. Use good quality GM or Delco parts, don't go too cheap and chinese on the cap and rotor. I don't think it can be anything else really. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, that sounds reasonable. Am I charged for any questions from here?

With the engine running, probe the PINK wire at the ignition coil. make sure it reads battery voltage, and there isn't some really odd voltage reading there.

I do not handle any of the billing. But there is a charge and it depends on what you selected when you initally set up the question. I only have a tab that says offer premium service on my end, which I don't think we need for this problem, that is more for hands on pinpoint testing and diagnosis.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay great thanks. Another thing I noticed was the center pin on top of the cap corroded white..

I follow you, how long did it take 6 months? approximate mileage before it corroded up again?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1 drive is all it takes, maybe next day after new cap and rotor
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Runs good then misfired or get piston slap and its back to bad.

I follow you, put the new wires on it, make sure the engine is grounded perfectly, Check voltage on the PINK wire at the ignition coil, and if voltage is good (14 volts when running or so) then put a new coil on it too. I really don't believe it can be anything else. Make sure you've got the right spark plugs in it. That's the only thing it can be in my opinion.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Eddie, appreciate the help.

Absolutely, thank you. Follow back up with me if you need to anytime.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cool, thx