Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

I have a new to me 1999 Chevy Astro van. The blower works

Customer Question

Hello, I have a new to me 1999 Chevy Astro van. The blower works but air only comes out the defrost vents. I checked the resister and electrical connection. I believe they work. I am female and hoping to learn to fix my own van :)
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The issue that you are having is not going to be with the blower motor. There Your issue is either going to be a broken vacuum hose or the mode door. Here I am providing description of operation for the air distribution.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Here, I am providing testing for the a/c system for your issue. Along with the replacement information for the door. This vent door directs the air from the floor to the feet to the defrost vents. If the vacuum hose for it fails, then it will default to the defrost position.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

I have also provided the replacement information for the door actuator.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have replace the vacuum hose that goes to the reservoir canister as it was completely falling apart. No i have air blowing to either the defrost, the top front vents but not the lower vents and it will blow either hot or cold air, which ever I have it set on. So I'd like to know how to check out the door that directs flow into the lower vent. Also, the blower is working but does not seem that strong. Is there other hoses or things that I can check or actuators or???
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The first 2 attachments are not helpful.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a manual that you can recommend that would have diagrams of the engine etc. that would be useful for doing repairs?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have a diagram of the vacuum system?
Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

I will check for this information. Give me just a moment. Also, the first two attachments are just description of the system to help you have an understanding of how the system operates. Just a moment, please.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Here is the information that you have requested. I am attaching the testing information for the vacuum system. The manufacturer do not supply a vacuum diagram for this vehicle. It instructs to refer to the testing. Also, If the air output does not switch to the floor, then there has to be another hose damaged or an issue with the actuator itself.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Here is location information just in case.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Just as a reminder, please do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for the answers provided. Thanks again.