Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Check engine light, reduced engine power, service power

Customer Question
Check engine light, reduced...

Check engine light, reduced engine power, service power steering mesaages

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stay on 2008 tahoe hybrid 169K miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just purchased it 2-3 weeks ago. I have done nothing yet. Made an appointment at the dealership[ for this coming week

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
8/12/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 8 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Those are some pretty important issues. Check engine light could be related to a lot of things, but chances are good that it's related to the "reduced engine power" message. Both of those things combined point to a failed throttle body, at least in most cases.

Service Power Steering is also an important one, because of the hybrid setup, this truck uses an electric power steering system. This is probably not related to the other two issues, but it could be an expensive fix. Hopefully the seller will assist you with these repairs.

The mechanic will start with trouble codes from the affected computers, these will point him in the right direction. If you have any questions after you get the trouble codes, I am happy to decipher them and explain them for you.

Please take a moment to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated. If you have further questions, I am always happy to follow up with you.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician