Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How about a coolant hose diagram? the guy who took this

How about a coolant hose...
How about a coolant hose diagram?
the guy who took this motor out didn't do me any favors. i have missing hoses and broken fittings. trying to put this back together.
8/11/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Dont have that either. I will open this up to other experts that may have this. Hard to find diagrams for anything pre 1985

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

I will do my best to help you with this problem. Can you send me a pic or two of the fittings that are broke, and what all hoses you need to put back on?

well its the actual hose routing that im having trouble with

There are only 5 hoses for this system, the two heater hoses, the upper and lower radiator hoses, ans the bypass hose. Does this car have factory ac?

no ac on this one.
what what connections is the bypass routed?

The bypass hose goes between the back of the water pump and the front lower section of the intake.

Some models" the ones with the ram air" did not have a hose n this location, but the timing cover bolted to the intake. A pic of the engine would be a big help so I can see exactly what you are working on and what needs to be done.

The port on the passenger side head is the heater hose. The timing cover will bolt up against the small port in the lower section of the front of the intake and seal off. When you bolt the intake to the heads, make sure that the timing cover will fit up tight to this port.

The other heater hose will come out of the passenger side of the water pump.

That hole is for the temp sensor.

id also need to know what all the other ports are on the intake.
1) next to the EGR
2) two prong front center behind cooling neck
3) one horizontal port next to carb mounting area
im pretty sure the temp sensor is in the side of the driver side head
i have tape over it in one of the pics i sent you

Let me see if I can find you a good vacuum diagram for the vacuum hose routing.

Can you send me a pic of the back of the intake so I can see the area around the egr port?

Those port will go to the choke pull of on the side of the carb. I am sorry, my printer has run out of ink so I can not print them out and mark them for you.

which port? how about the two prongs next to the number 1 on intake

First off that is not the correct carb for this engine. The carb you have is off of a 79-up gm car with an electric choke. The two ports in the intake in front of the carb are for the heat riser block off at the manifold on the passenger side. It restricts the exhaust when the engine is cold.

With this carb having an electric choke, you can just remove the tube that is sticking up, and ignore the two ports.

wow ok,
and for the hole that runs down into the valley pan...would that be for the pcv?

yes

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech