Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

2008 Chevrolet HHR. Getting a C0460 after driving 3 blocks.

Customer Question

2008 Chevrolet HHR. Getting a C0460 after driving 3 blocks. Where do I start.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Here is the description of the code set:

DTC Descriptors
DTC C0460 00
- Steering Position Signal

DTC C0460 42
- Steering Position Signal Initialization Not Accomplished

DTC C0460 4B
- Steering Position Signal Calibration Not Accomplished

DTC C0460 5A
- Steering Position Signal Not Plausible

DTC C0460 71
- Steering Position Signal Internal Failure

DTC C0460 72
- Steering Position Signal Rolling Count Invalid

Here is the procedure that needs followed with a compatible scan tool to locate and resolve this issue here:

Circuit/System Verification

1. Position the steering wheel to the straight-ahead, centered, position.
2. Install a scan tool, ignition ON, engine OFF, and view SWPS signal. One of the signals should be approximately 0-720 degrees.
3. As the steering wheel is turned, each signal should travel smoothly between 0 and 720 degrees.

Circuit/System Testing

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the steering angle sensor.
2. Test for less than 6 ohm of resistance between the low reference circuit terminal 6 and ground.

◊If greater than the specified range, test for an open/high resistance in the low reference circuit. If the circuit tests normal, replace the EBCM.

3. Ignition ON, test for 11.8-12.2 volts between the 12-volt reference circuit terminal 1 and ground.

◊If less than the specified range, test the 12-volt reference circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the EBCM.

◊If greater than the specified range, test the 12-volt reference circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the EBCM.

4. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the EBCM.
5. Ignition ON, test for 0 volts between the communication circuit terminal 18 and ground.

◊If greater than the specified value, test the communication circuit for a short to voltage.

6. Test for 0 volts between the communication circuit terminal 19 and ground.

7. Ignition OFF, test for infinite resistance between the communication circuit terminal 18 and ground.

◊If not the specified value, test the communication circuit for a short to ground.

8. Test for infinite resistance between the communication circuit terminal 19 and ground.

9. Test for less than 1 ohm of resistance between the communication circuit terminals 18 and terminal 3.

◊If greater than the specified range, test the communication circuit for an open/high resistance.

10. Test for less than 1 ohm of resistance between the communication circuit terminals 19 and terminal 4.

11. Test for infinite resistance between the communication circuit 18 and the communication circuit 19.

◊If not the specified value, test the communication circuits for a short together.

12. If all circuits test normal, replace the Steering Angle Sensor.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
where is the ebcm and the steering angle sensor. Is there a common problem?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

The common fault in most cases is the steering angle sensor.The ebcm is attached to the anti lock brake hydraulic unit under the hood ( the brake lines lead to it from the master cylinder).It is the electronic computer that is attached to it.If it does end up needing to be replaced this needs to be done by a shop or dealer so they can reprogram the ebcm when it is replaced so it then works properly.

The steering angle sensor is located on the steering column as shown below as #3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vz25f4nevruow1r/st-08-07.gif?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it part of the motor itself. If it needs changed does it need programmed?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

No this is a separate sensor on the steering shaft area itself.It does need to be calibrated when it is replaced.All that may need to be done on yours is to have it calibrated as the computer may have lost its calibration.The calibration is performed with a fully compatible scan tool that can do the sensor alignment/calibration procedure.The process usually takes less then a half hour to have done.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am confused. The replacement doesnt need calibrated but the old one may just need calibrated?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I apologize.

What I meant is the fault code here can indicate that the sensor that is already on your vehicle just needs to be recalibrated.No replacement needed possibly.The calibration has to be done with a compatible scan tool that can perform the calibration procedure.

If it will not calibrate with the compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicle then you will need to have the sensor replaced.Once it is replaced the new sensor would then need calibrated.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just found U2100, U2105 and U2107 in the steering module.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Clear out these codes and see if they come back.If they do not come back then this can indicate these were a code that set previously and are not an issue now.If any of these codes come back this can indicate a fault with the BCM ( body control module computer) needing replaced and programmed.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have you ever seen this?TECH TIPS
REV: 20110805
Courtesy of APRA
TSB_1017.docx
Dixie
Tech Tips
are intended for use by professional
technicians, and are not for the general
public. They are written to inform
technicians of conditions that ma
y exist or as a guide to aid in diagnosing and se
rvicing a vehicle. All references to original
equipment manufactures, vehicle manufactures an
d any other Trade Mark names are ***** *****
sole purpose of identifying the vehicle
and or part that the
Tech Tip
applies to. This document is property of Dixie Electr
ic Ltd. and is not to be copied or distributed with out
written permission.
Dixie Part Numbers:
S-1422
S-1466
S-1495 S-1497
S-1502 S-1523 S-80280 TBA
Applications:
2004 – 2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2005 – 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt
2005 – 2010 Pontiac G6
2006 – 2007 Pontiac Pursuit
2006 – 2009 Pontiac Solstice with OnStar®
2006 – 2011 Chevrolet HHR
2007 – 2009 Saturn Aura
2007 – 2009 Saturn Sky
2008 – 2010 Pontiac G5
Condition:
The operator of the vehicle may complain
that the engine fails to crank or
start and that the service engine soon
light and instrument panel lights
intermittently come on while driving.
The technician may observe one or
more of the following diagnostic trouble codes:
U0023
U0101
U0121
U1040
U2100
U2106
U2107
U
2108 P0700 P2544
Cause:
A potential cause for the above condition is an improper connection to the
vehicle communications interface module at connector C3 (black).
Correction:
Follow the manufacturer’s reco
mmended diagnostic and repair procedures
when applicable ensuring that the connecti
on is fully seated and that the
harness is not too tight as this could cause the connector to partially
separate.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I have seen that before.It is very possible you have this connection issue here.But the codes need cleared out first to see if they come back ( the U codes you have set).If they do come back then this connection needs checked to see if it needs pushed in further or if the terminals need replaced in the connection.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Connector is fine. cleared everything and have driven. The only codes that came back are B0460 4B and P0460 5A
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

The steering angle sensor itself can be the faulty component here for these codes that are set.I would have the testing procedure above done to see if for sure it needs replaced.It will need calibrated as well once it is replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Drove today and guages all went crazy. Are the modules tied into the cluster
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

The instrument cluster is a control module/ecu of its own.It can act up internally in allot of cases and causes the gauges to act up like you saw there.If no running or driving issues are found it is very possible the instrument cluster is the cause here needing removed and replaced or removed and repaired by an authorized repair facility.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will pull thr codes again because the check engine light is on
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have pulled all the codes. The instrument cluster went crazy lighting up and guages dancing. The steering got really hard as well. Body control module U2100, U2105, and U2111
Steering module U2100, U2105, and U2107
Abs module C0460 calibration not set
Ecm U0073, P0700, and P2544
There is nothing in the tcm.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Just so I have this correct what engine liter size do you have in your model?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2.4
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where is the bcm
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

The BCM is located on the side of the center console under the shifter area as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gj5r6ymr2rqsxei/b-08-15.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Most of these are bcm codes correct?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

These are communication fault codes and do relate to a BCM fault here.This can indicate the BCM is the cause with it needing replaced.If it is replaced it has to be replaced with a new one and programmed to your vehicle as well in order to work.