Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Won't start, has fuel, spark, I changed the whole

Customer Question
Won't start, has fuel...

Won't start, has fuel, spark, I changed the whole distributor, ignition coil, ignition switch, map and tps sensor, it does while driving, back fired and sputtered out

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

It's carburated, not sure about the fuel pressure sensor, it's dropping fuel and I tried spraying carb cleaner in it and still nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

95 s10 4.3 the base model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah doing it myself, I tried the spark test, which it's getting, a friend came over and helped timed it, then just sprayed the carb cleaner to check the fuel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
8/7/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Ryan-CTech, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Technical-minded multi-skilled auto mechanic with over 10 years’ experience in all aspects of repairing, maintaining and servicing a diverse range of automobiles.
Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with your S10. The backfiring and stalling while driving indicate to me that the timing is not correct. Have you tried loosening the distributor hold down bracket and rotating the distributor clockwise or counterclockwise about a half an inch to an inch in either direction? If it attempts to start or does start then we know it's ignition related. Give that a shot real quick and let me know please:)
It only did that when it first died 4 days ago since then it hasn't started at all which is when I replaced everything
Okay thank you for that information. Another possibility is a defective timing chain. Were you able to verify the timing? If the chain moved a tooth or two it wouldn't matter if the distributor timing was correct it would still not start.
No I wasn't able to do that, is that difficult to do?
It is a little involved yes. It would require disassembling most of the components on the front of the motor and removing the timing chain cover. Then you would be able to see the timing marks and verify whether or not they are lined up.
Thanks for the photo it really helps to have a bird's-eye view of it. What you want to do now is temporarily Slide the harmonic balancer back on and rotate the engine until the crankshaft timing ***** *****nes up with the camshaft timing mark. Each sprocket has a tiny little indent a circle dot. They point to each other. The crankshaft sprocket. Should be at the 12:00 position. In the camshaft sprocket should align in the six o clock position. Once they are aligned remove the distributor cap and verify the rotor is pointing at the Mark for the number one cylinder. That will verify that the timing is correct, adjust as needed.
Also you'll want to make sure that there isn't any slop in the timing chain you should only be able to wiggle it about a quarter of an inch. I have a sneaking suspicion that the distributor timing is 180 degrees out. Let me know what you find and I will follow up with you in a few hours :)
Good afternoon I was just popping in to see how things were going?
Still at work, will be checking it in a couple hours
Ok sounds good.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician