Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

2000 Chevy Blazer. Hit the rear hatch switch, made a noise,

Customer Question

2000 Chevy Blazer. Hit the rear hatch switch, made a noise, and then it would not open. The auto door locks also appear to not be working now, as well as the power mirrors. I am 17 and this is my first car. Looking to understand where everything is and what to look for. I have the manual and an Ultra Gauge but no fuse tester.
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?
Customer: ummm. yes.
JA: Are you fixing your Blazer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Switched a fuse in the panel by the drivers side door.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Also have an unrelated trouble code P0446 I also need to diagnose
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 2 months ago.

Good morning.

One tool you should put in your toolbox is a good test light. It's about a $15 item, and it is invaluable for electrical work. You can make very quick circuit checks with it, and verify a lot of things.

I'd use a test light to check all of the fuses, by simply touching the top of each fuse, on both sides, to verify power is present at both sides of the fuse. This tells you two things: the fuse is good, and there is actually power present at the fuse.

Did the locks and mirrors stop working at exactly the same time that the rear hatch failed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. Will do. To answer your question, yes, they all failed at the same time.

I'd definitely start with checking all fuses, both inside the truck and under the hood. Replace any that only have power on one side, it sounds like you're going to find at least one like that.

If you do, replace it, then see if the fuse opens again when you try to do the same thing with the hatch, and we'll go from there.