kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Won't start, Here's the story..... bear with me. It's an 04

Customer Question

Won't start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Here's the story..... bear with me. It's an 04 cavalier. I just purchased it. Girl said it had electrical issues. It would start and run and after 20 minutes the gauges would go haywire. Car would continue running but would not restart if you cut it off. I brought it home and found a corroded body ground and the ground on the engine loose. I ran a charging test and was getting sporadic no charge. I cleaned and tightened all grounds and car will not start now with the key. If I turn key on and jump the solenoid car starts and runs. While I had it running I rechecked the alternator and that is good now. Is there some security system causing this?
JA: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The Hvac fan stopped as well.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

with the HVAC blower stopping also these issues usually end up being bad ignition switches a very common issue in these cars causing this issue

replacing the ignition switch should correct those issues

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ignition switch as in the key switch?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can start the car by jumping the solenoid and it runs but blower still don't work.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

the ignition switch as seen here

left side of the steering column

replacing it should fix both issues

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Left side of the steering column.......not seeing it?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

remove the upper steering column covers and it is bolted to the left side of the steering column right next to the turn signal switch

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I get to it. I have the top cover off. The bottom piece I can't get past the tilt wheel arm
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

the tilt wheel left should unscrew using some vise grips on it grabbing it as close to the cover as possible

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How is that switch held on?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

unplug it then remove the 2 reverse torx small colts holding it into place

Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.
please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No change with new switch!
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

Have you done the relearn on the security system sense you replaced the ignition switch?

Here are the steps to take to do the relearn,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I was out of town for business this week. Yes I tried to do the relearn but can't get past the first part. When I switch to on, try to start and back to on the security light goes out after about 3 seconds. It does not stay on like the procedure says.

What does it do when you try to start the engine? Does it make any noise at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing.....everything goes off......gauge lights go dark. I had it in the on position and was testing the fuses under the hood with a test light. When I tested the smaller 10 amp fuse the car cranked and started. I thought that was bizarre so it it off and ride it again this time turning the key to on and I used just a piece of wire and ground the fuse test post and it started again

What fuse where you testing? Can you send me a pic of what and where you did this"jump"?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I turn the switch to on and ground either of the posts on the fuse it cranks it? The 10a fuse in the picture with CRNK above it. Right above AC fuse

Can you tell me what the voltage is for this fuse with the switch in the off, and run position please?