Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu with just over 25,000 miles. The…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu with just over 25,000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

The ignition switch seems stuck in the "start" position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I was able to turn the steering wheel. After driving the car to work, I was unable to turn the car off. The key was stuck in the 'start' position. Close to panicking, I drove the car to a Peb Boys, left the car in 'drive', and put on the emergency break. the employee was able to pop my hood, pull an electrical lead, and disconnect my engine. But the key remained stuck in the 'start' position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I can think off.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
8/6/2017
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 year ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Will the key turn to the start position?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The key is stuck in the 'start' position

Good morning. I am sorry I miss read your post, I thought you meant the switch was stuck in the run position. Most often this is caused by the electrical part of the ignition switch sticking and holding the key in place. The electrical part of the ignition switch can be removed and replaced with out having to get a new key, but the switch will have to be broken off of the lock cylinder housing to do this. Then you can replace the electrical part of the switch.