Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

04 impala the cluster doesnt come on no crank. When key is…

Customer Question
04 impala the cluster...

04 impala the cluster doesnt come on no crank. When key is inserted blower light come on then switch off. New battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Yes engine doesnt crank at all. Its electrical. Has headlights and door locks work

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Took test meter tested ignition switch red wire comes back 2.8 volts hot. Tried to test white wire to passlock wasnt hot. Tested wire to crank relay was hot 12 volt. Remote + has 12 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats most of it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 8 months ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

what engine do you have?

how and when did this problem first begin?

Its the 3400 efi v6 limited edition impala. It happened friday of last week. Worked fine the day before never had any issue prior. Went to start car and wouldnt turn over, guage cluster has no lights and no radio. The car did start eventually but when it was driven the car would cut out like power was lost could restart car. Parked it turned it off and back to what happened before it started. Radio is aftermarket so no info from the radio. Ignition went for recall about a month ago for the over rotation recall

was the battery dead?did you have to jump start it?

The battery was not dead. We thought initially it was dead but 8 hours on a charger still same issue. Changed out battery and same issue. Lights work headlights work electronic door locks work

ok

first, lets try something simple,,

Remove both battery cables from the battery, turn on the ignition, touch and hold both the - and the + cables together for 5 seconds, turn off the ignition, then re-install them back to the battery

then unlock the doors with your remote,,be sure to use the originalkey

let me know if this fixed the problem

Tried but nothing happened still the same problem. When terminals were tightened the interior dings twice. When key went into ignition the second time you hear a click but nothing happens. Car doesnt have a key fob
I dont know for sure if it is the original key because of previous owner but same key since we have owned it over a year now.

.

please stand by,perhaps one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on.

someone will be right with you

Thanks
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic