Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My starter just keeps clicking while my battery is fine I…

Customer Question
My starter just keeps...

My starter just keeps clicking while my battery is fine I have measured it at 12-13 volts before I put it in my car and I'll be lucky if I turn my key 3 times before my car just kills all life in the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It is in park

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Chevy?

08 Chevy cobalt ls 2.2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?

Placing a newly charged battery in it, multiple times. Cleaning the battery terminals and cables, cleaning all connections to starter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Before it died on me I was driving it and heard the engine develop a lower tone as I would press on the gas and then at the red light it died

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
8/4/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 6 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. o you notice anything else not working on the vehicle like the radio, interior lights,power door locks and windows etc.

Everything on my dash seems to work, along with exterior and interior lights my gauges will flicker sometimes I'm not sure if that matters

Hi welcome to just answers my name is***** you notice anything else not working on the vehicle like the radio, interior lights,power door locks and windows etc.

is the battery fully charge / IS IT A NO CRANK PROBLEM OR A CRANK NO START?

I have two batteries I keep swapping out cause like I said my car will kill them but when I turn my key all I hear is my starter clicking like a machine gun

CAN YOU TURN THE IGNITION KEY TO THE ON POSITION SEE IF THE ENGINE LIGHT TURNS ON FOR 3 SECONDS THEN GOES OUT.

I turned my key to the on position and I see a check engine light that fails to give me any codes (atleast when it first died I didn't receive any codes) and the anti theft light that turned on the day my car was having troubles

OK,Have an assistant rotate the key to crank position while "feeling" for a click of the "CRANK" relay.
If a "click" is present, verify the 30 amp "CRANK" fuse is ok.

If OK, check for battery voltage at the Purple wire at the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid.
If no voltage is present, check the Purple wire at pin B10 in the 68 cavity Black C1 connector under the Underhood Electrical Center (UHEC).

If voltage is present at the pin B10, repair the open circuit in the Purple wire.
If no voltage is present, verify a clean tight connection at pin B10. If OK replace the UHEC.

You got a wiring diagram or schematic I can look at so I know where you're talking about? I understand the crank relay portion as well as checking the purple wire at the starter but after that I got lost

i will get back to you tomorrow morning when i get to work and send you the wirings you need if is ok with you.

that is ok, I really appreciate your help. Thank you

no problem i'll get back to you tomorrow .

Good Morning, did you verify the starter relays location?

here goes the wiring you requested copy this to your browser and open it then copy it to your library so you dont loose it http://library.alldatapro.com/alldata/LIB~C44738~R0~OB0~P4R0H~N/0/128809663/133595457/133595462/133595466/34853741/34869956/34871455/42027491/56473064/167106085/167106086

http://library.alldatapro.com/alldata/LIB~C44738~R0~OB0~P4R0H~N/0/128809663/133595457/133595462/133595466/34853741/34869956/34871455/42027491/56473064/167106085/167106087

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician