Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ac wont turn on in hot weather. Yesterday same thing

Customer Question
Ac wont turn on...

Ac wont turn on in hot weather. Yesterday same thing happened, when I took it to the shop to get test it turned on automatically.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

Didn't check it yet, because when it came back on yesterday it was ice cold.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2007 chevy Suburban LTZ

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a mechanic for him to check it, by the time he came back with the machine to check it came back on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

237,000 on the mileage

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chevy
8/3/2017
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 11 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

The first thing you should check is the field coil on the compressor. If they get to hot, they will not be able to pull the compressor clutch in to engage the compressor.

The best way to check the field coil is to start the engine and turn the ac on. If the clutch does not engage tap it with a screw driver handle. If it kicks in, then the field coil is going bad. You will want to tap it n the front flat part of the clutch.