Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
Experience:  Automotive instructor at Porter and Chester institute
14457476

2012 traverse, engine shudder at 40 mph and 60 mph, recently

Customer Question

2012 traverse, engine shudder at 40 mph and 60 mph, recently had plugs replaced and injector service, just now replaced throttle body, still has shudder
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: no codes in system
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your Traverse yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am a service advisor at a ford dealership, we have 4 stores, one being a Chevrolet dealer, they cant find problem, trying to correct problem myself, recently replaced plugs, andi injector service, replaced throttle body today, still have problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 2 months ago.

Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. a shudder is usually found when you have a transmission slippage between any gear cause by low fluid pressure or over heating transmission, this problem will leave codes stored on the computer for shift prime fault or gear error in to 3rd or 4th gear. a hesitation or shutter can also be felt on the engine side if you have a primary circuit or secondary spark system problem or an injector circuit problem on the engine side and this will also store codes on the computer.

if you don't see an engine light on this does not mean there are no codes on the system , there may be pending codes because it takes 3 pending codes to set a light on therefore it will stay off, the only way to know if any codes is by scanning the computer.

after that if you don't have any codes then you have to kind of guess your way to the problem.

if you still see no codes then Check the fluid level and condition.
Watch Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) slip RPM while it shudders to see if it is fluctuating.
Command the TCC to 100% with scan tool. See if the symptom improves
Do an induction clean and check for improvement.
Check spark plugs and ignition coils for carbon tracking.

Using the scan tool, observe the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) slip RPM when the problem occurs.
If the TCC slip RPM is erratic at the time of the vehicle surge, using the scan tool, either turn the TCC on to 100% or off to 0%, and verify the surge is gone.
If the problem is related to the TCC, verify the fluid level and check for 5 year/100K mile powertrain warranty.

Hi do you still need more help?