Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2014 Chevy Express 3500 that has the security lock…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2014 Chevy Express 3500 that has the security lock light on and won't start. It does this for all three keys I have. How can I disable the light and start the van?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

It looks like a lock and a car

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Express yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried leaving the ignition on for 11 minutes and then turn off and back on but didn't try it for the full 30 minutes because I didn't think it was working

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also tried disconnecting the battery

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chevy
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Please call Gabe at(###) ###-####with answer
8/3/2017
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 9 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. you need to do the entire relearn.

turn key on. security symbol will flash. wait until it is done flashing (approximately 10-11 minutes)and goes steady. turn key off.

start the vehicle

The security symbol is not flashing it is steady the entire time

does the engine crank at all?

No it doesn't

then the immobilizer isnt the issue.

try starting it in neutral

Why would the security lock be on? What else could it be?

when you turn the key on it comes on then goes out? it just doesnt flash right?

do you at least hear a click?

It stays on it flashes once but that's it
It doesn't click or make any noise whatsoever. I've tried starting it in neutral doesn't work
Anyone here?
Chevy Mechanic: SuperDave, auto technician replied 9 months ago
SuperDave
SuperDave, auto technician
Phone call session started
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 9 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

I'm sorry for the delay, let me see if I can help you. Do you still need help with this?

I do but the vehicle is now at the dealer

OK. Out of curiosity, have they found the issue yet?

No they haven't

I don't agree with the previous tech, if the immobilizer light was on, and staying on, then you have an immobilizer problem that needs to be dealt with. Immobilizer functions are handled by the theft deterrent module, which is in the column, and it's the device that reads the key code as well. I would say your problem is likely isolated to that area, broken/inoperative antennas are common enough.

I have confidence that the dealer is going to find this, have they indicated that they're having trouble figuring it out, or have they just not gotten to it yet?

They said they tried but having an issue finding it not sure if they haven't actually got to it

Well, if I can help you out in any way after you get some news about it, or if you have questions about the diagnosis or repair, just let me know. Again, I'm sorry for the delay, I have been away for awhile but I'm going to be around to help you out if you need it.

Thank you Jerry I will keep you posted

.

That is crazy. I'd have to see that to believe it. I can't read the whole story on the invoice you gave me, but if you had the GPS system professionally installed, I'd take that invoice to the installer and demand an explanation.

Honestly, I am skeptical about the diagnosis, that may be what they're telling you, but it seems really unlikely that a GPS system could take out the theft deterrent system.

They actually said it burned the ignition system

I understand. Depending on where this was wired, how it was wired, how much amperage the system uses (I suspect not much, but I don't know for certain), I'd definitely be talking to the installer about it, and seeing if you can get some satisfaction that way. That's an expensive repair bill for some burned up wiring.

-Jerry

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician