Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lost the key to ignition auto zone has new key cylinder with…

Customer Question
Lost the key to...

Lost the key to ignition auto zone has new key cylinder with two sets of keys but how do I get old one out

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2006 silverado

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
8/2/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

since there is no key to turn the old lock cylinder to turn it ti run and push the release

you need to visually hold the new lock cylinder up to the old one and see visually where abouts the release would be then mark the area on the ignition lock case then use an 1/8 drill bit and drill a hold down the outer lock case then push in through the hold with a pick or aleen wrench and the old one should release to be removed

its the only way to get it out

here is a picture of the stock hole if you could turn it ti run to release the cylinder

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer