Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

13 impala) when I cranked it, it would not stay idle when I

Customer Question

13 impala) when I cranked it, it would not stay idle when I first crank it and just chokes like something was flooded? informed the O2 censure was bad, could that be the only problem?
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Replaced spark plug less then month ago, full tank
JA: What is the model of your '13 Chevy?
Customer: LTZ flex fuel
JA: Are you fixing your Flex yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Absolutely not
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The a/c started making a clicking noise when I switch from defrost to a/c for the past 2 weeks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, it sounds like your throttle blade in the throttle body is sticking. If it sticks, it cannot open enough to allow air in and idle the engine. So it kind of chokes off like you describe. Until it gets really bad it often won't set a code or light on the dash. The O2 sensor has very little to do with it idling, but a sticky throttle will. It is easy and fairly cheap to clean up the throttle plate and throttle bore with solvent and a soft rag.