Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

My headlights low and high beam are not working on my 2004

Customer Question

My headlights low and high beam are not working on my 2004 Chevy Impala
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: I checked bulbs I attempted to check fuses I'm not sure if I checked the correct ones though
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am,I have checked the relay it is clicking when I pull back the switch for high beams but no high beams are coming on but signals and all other lights work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Also when I pull back the lever for my high beams to come on they don't and the high beam icon on my dash board doesn't even come on also
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be due to an internal electrical fault with the BCM ( body control module).This control unit controls the light ground signals to power them on as well as the signal for the instrument cluster for high beam.The head light switch feeds its signals into the BCM and then the BCM feeds signals out to the dimmer switch to control the light signals.In some cases it is the multi function switch that causes this if it has an internal short.It can still work to operate the turn signals but can fail to allow the signals to pass through to allow head light operation.

To determine which is at fault here the signals have to be tested with a multi meter to see for sure which is the cause needing replaced.If you have this tool to do this testing and want to test it let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete