sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

My truck won't start I had coolant line leak and I just

Customer Question

My truck won't start I had coolant line leak and I just fixed that I'm trying to start and it just started a howling noise
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: no I used water until I can get more coolant
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2006 Chevy duramax 2500
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I fixed the hoses already. My truck stalled I think it ran coolant dry and overheated. There was no warning my truck died and I immediately got towed in and found a hose blown when I filled it up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It won't start now and it making a whining noise. It never made it I tried starting a few times and once I got it fixed it began make this noise
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it was overheated to the point that the engine died then there is very likely internal engine damage. There may be damage to the crankshaft, pistons, cylinder walls, the heads, block and valvetrain components.

Does the engine not crank now?