Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2001 Chevy S10 ...brake light stays on except the HM 3rd

2001 Chevy S10 ...brake light stays on except the HM 3rd light.
Replaced the switch and it goes off and on when I wiggle the pedal...so I replaced it with another new one
and it stays on.....3 rd switch I replaced.

Good afternoon,

It sounds like maybe the switch it out of adjustment or the wires are shorted at some point. Will the lights still flicker on and off when you wiggle the pedal?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The first 2 switches would flicker and also work correctly when wiggling the pedal.
So I swapped it out for a 3rd switch and this will not work with any wiggling of the pedal.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In what way can you adjust this type of switch?

First, let's try something. Try and remove the CHMSL relay in the under hood fuse box. Let me know if the brake lights go off.

You're right about it not being adjustable on this year model. I looked it up- I must be thinking of a newer year with the adjustable switch.

If the brake lights go off when you pull the CHMSL relay try swapping that relay for another relay in the box that has the same part number.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its not clear which relay switch it is? what is it labeled as ?Thanks Jared!

I think it might be labeled VECHMSL

I need to step out in the shop for a sec. I'll be back in about 20 min.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its a 10 amp fuse and its good
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The HMTL had a bad bulb I replaced it and everything was good for a day.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As the brake lights are on....the third light is not on ...until I step on the pedal then the HMTL goes on...if that helps.

Should be right here.

Sorry, that took longer than I thought.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
swapped out the relay switch....still stays on.

Sorry, had to leave the shop for the day.

When you unplugged the relay did the lights go off?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry...got side tracked on other projects.
Yes, the brake light went out after unplugging the relay.

It really sounds like that relay is keeping them on. Did you swap it with a new relay or with another relay in the box?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That seemed to be the issue.
Thank you!

Oh good!

*Please take time to rate my response- as an expert I don't work directly for Just Answer- any resources I provide to you are furnished at my own personal expense. I only receive compensation based on positive ratings from you. Therefore, I cannot offer my time, insights, advice, diagrams, etc, without that positive rating. If you are unable to positively rate my response please let me know. After rating I will still be available for follow-up questions at no additional charge.