Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Ok so the 89 corvette we been taljing about ran great for a

Customer Question
couple days, started great, idle...
Ok so the 89 corvette we been taljing about ran great for a couple days, started great, idle great. Volt gage on dash showed it was charging. Last night drove it home shut it off and it wouldn't start again. Sounds like drained battery or starter. I charged battery over night, still same problem. I hooked up amp meter in series on ground side of battery for parasitic drain test and see no reading. I even changed the ignition control module at a friend's suggestion and made no difference. So what would you suggest next? Remember, battery and alternator are brand new.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 3 months ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

is the engine physically cranking over and it will not fire up ? or ?

Been cranking over and starting fine, then intermittently it doesn't crank, hesitates for a few seconds when I turn the key and then cranks slow, then a couple days later it starts like new, then a few days later the battery acts like its low and cranks slow and don't start, and so on. I just changed battery, alternator, Ignition control module, almost changed the starter but it suddenly started working again like new, then after like putting 50 miles on it, it wouldn't start again and is cranking slow and interior lights are dim, and after charging the new battery its still acting like battery is drained when its fully charged. I did a parasitic draw test and came up with no amps showing any drain. Im stumped.
Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

.

Hi. Did you reply? I didn't see any writing.

no you have 3 requests open, you should close the 2 and just respond to the one where im talking to you on the ecm prom

Hi Shawn. So the last recommendation you made was inspect the PROM. Were is it located on the 89 Corvette? And what about the ECM that its in, do they go bad also? I see they are selling PROMs on zip corvette parts. You know a better place to get them?
ok. Just want to use this new one so I can give you credit again. I will try to shut other ones.
I rated you on other request, so this should be the only one open. The first thing i need to know is were is the PROM/ECM located on my 89 Corvette?

I sent that to you in the other request did you not get it

I downloaded it but it doesn't show the location of the prom in the car. Is it under the dash on the passenger side? I'm not sure.
I will double check again when I get home in a few minutes I have to pull it up on my computer. Won't come up on my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_yY9E5IF20 this is in the engine compartment on drivers side

Sorry still can't find it. Video says under the dash, and you say engine compartment drivers side. So as a starting point, were is it in proximity to battery on drivers side?

According to this it could be in 2 different places from your year, here are the instructions for both

Thanks Sean. It looks like it's going to be under the dash on the passenger side. Going to be a bitch to get to for someone like me with a bad back. I'm wondering, I didn't scan the codes yet, will pulling up some codes possibly point to the problem I'm having?

yes that would help a lot

the car started right up today, like 5 times in a row. I went to advanced to pick up a scanner, and when i got back the car wouldnt start. Turned key and nothing for a couple seconds and then it cranked weaker than it did earlier, and won't kick over. I'm charging battery again, it said 11-12 volts on my tester. Wonder if it is a starter problem, but battery is also draining very easy. I tanbthe codes and only got code 12, but I had disconnected battery and been cranking and starting it a lot, do you think maybe codes cleared? Should I try to drive it and get engine light on again?

when you check the battery with your voltmeter what voltage are you getting?

11-12 volts. Usually 12. New battery. I been charging daily.

how about when car running?

Actually, it's 13 volts when not running, I got a better tester. It won't start with 13 volts. I'm still charging to see if it starts so I can check running voltage. May have to jump it. Who knows. Maybe it is a starter problem. Works intermittently.
Battery charger says fully charged and I get nothing but steady low clicking noise.
Any Ideas? Does it sound like starter is shot? been charging new battery for 24 hours and get nothing but clicking from dashboard. battery is at 13 volts.

I think you have a fantom draw and need to keep testing it

But if I don't show any amps when i do the parasitic draw test, what else can i look for to find the phantom draw?

something is causing it to leak down , are you sure your doing the test right?

I watch the video YouTube. I put tester on DC amps, removed ground cable, hook positive test lead to ground cable and negative test lead to battery ground post. All doors shut and lights off, key off. I get no amp reading. Should show a few amps if there's a draw, correct?

your going to have a draw no matter what, but its the amount you want to focus on

Does it sound like im doing the test right? Im gonna do it again with a better tester.

yeah maybe you dont have it on the right settings? ave draw is .03

Ok. On DC 20Amp setting im getting 3.17 amps. So there's a bad draw, correct? I need to start pulling fuses one at a time, correct?

yes there is a draw and you can pull fuses or check fuses the other way with the multimeter

Actually, the 3.17 was the interior light. When I get the interior light off it goes down to .03 or .04. So it looks like no draw. If the starter was going bad, could it have been requiring high amps to crank it, and so just a little draw on the battery could make it not crank, and appear to be the battery draining, when really it was a bad starter that required high amps to crank?

If your battery is knocking out that fast you prob have a bad battery, it should be tested , a .03 draw wont kill a car for alteast 2 months or more if that battery is good and sometimes then it will start

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician