Triston
Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience:  10 YRS. EXP. ASE CERTIFIED SPECIALIZE IN ALL ELECTRICAL AND A/C ALSO AND ENGINE PERFORMANCE
10186415

I replaced the dvd player portion of my Gm Denso head unit

Customer Question

I replaced the dvd player portion of my Gm Denso head unit with navigation in my 2008 suburban and now i get a Region Code Error and it won't play any dvds. I assume the new dvd player Region Code is not 1, but could use some help
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: It has 152000 miles. I have an Elm 327 blue tooth connection and the Torque app on my phone, but i can't to the radio with it.
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Itried to enter reset the dvd player using the code 295660 on the head unit which opens a special menu. Didn't change the error
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: One of the ribbon connectors on the dvd player was difficult to install correctly. Initially the dvd player was not recognized by the head unit at all and i disassembled and found the conductors had bent over and weren't making correct contact . I think this is ok now as i redid this connection and the player is recognized by the head unit,but gives the region code error. I assume the dvd player came set for the wrong region code and would like to confirm this and get it fixed.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Triston replied 2 months ago.
If the radio is new or came from another vehicle a GM dealer will have to program it. Also in the menu if the region selection is available a map of the US will pull up and show you which number to select based on your state like for me texas is 5 or 6. But some vehicles doesn't require this selection just programming only. Please give a positive rating. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I didn't replace the head unit. It is the original one for this vehicle. We had some issues with the original dvd player portion, so i dissassembled the head unit and replaced the disc drive portion of it. All other functions (radio,gps...) appear to work correctly. I only get the region code error after i insert a disc in the dvd player. I did some research online and it appears that dvd players have Region codes assigned to them and if they do not match the dvd being played, they won't work. Can you tell me what the "region code error" means in this case and specifically what can be done to resolve it?
Thanks