Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Driveline makes a whirring noise on accel and decel...Also…

Customer Question
Driveline makes a whirring...

Driveline makes a whirring noise on accel and decel...Also vibration above about 60 mph. Feels like it binds a bit at times

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It's coming from the drivetrain...driveshafts, transfer case, perhaps front bearing on the trans

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '60 Chevy?

1999 GMC Yukon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced u-joints and transfer case...5 years ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Would like to know how to get it to work properly

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
7/30/2017
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 6 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Is your truck all time 4x4 or can you switch it from 2wd to 4x4 hi and low?

The switch works. The solenoid pod on the transfer case was replaced when the rebuilt transfer case was installed. But it doesn't drive well in 4WD

Can you remove the front drive shaft and see if you still have the vibration, and noise?

I would also like to know what you mean by, the 4wd does not drive well please.

I guess I could. But not tonight. I was hoping someone there would have some insight. It seems like the GMC transfer case has wear issues, the front bearing on the tranny has wear issues, and the u joints don't seem to last very long.
When in 4WD it seems like it's binding up a bit, not rolling freely

Do yo uhave an automatic transmission in your truck?.

Put your truck in 4x4 lo, park the truck and jack up just the drivers side so both the front and rear wheel are off the ground, but the passenger side tires are still on the ground, put the transmission in neutral and spin the rear wheel by hand. Does the front tire spin at the same rate? Does it spin slower?

Same rate

Can you do the same test but this time in 4wd hi?

Already at dinner. Driving here it felt like it always does - like the rear wheels push against the front wheels even when it's in 2WD

Does the front diff get hotter then normal after you drive it?

I don't know how hot would be normal. It's very hot in NM in the summer, so everything under the hood seems hot

Drive the truck tomorrow for a few miles, then when you pull over reach under the truck and fell the front diff housing, it should not be hat to the touch.

Will do

Thank you.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician