Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Within this past week, when I shift from Park into reverse

Customer Question

Within this past week, when I shift from Park into reverse or drive, I feel (and hear) a "clunk". IT also does this when shifting between first and second gears while driving. My vehicle is a 1995, Chevy, G-20 van, V-6 with 4.3 liter engine, automatic transmission.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: Almost 150,000 miles and the transmission is the original transmission.
JA: Are you fixing your G20 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will (this weekend after I have finished work) will try to move the drive shaft by hand to see if -- maybe the U-joint has worn. Beyond that, I have not made a plan.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The vehicle has been operating smoothly until last week. I did add a quart of transmission fluid when I noticed that the transmission fluid was low. But that did not correct the "clunking".
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for holding!

From what you are describing here, it does sound like a case of worn driveshaft universal joints. You can give this a check by holding one side of the joint and turning the other side against it. There should be no movement or play at all. Another test is to use a flat-blade screwdriver in between the joint and levering up and down. Again, there should be no play. Given the year of the vehicle adn teh mileage, I'd lean towards the joints needing replacement. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today, James?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

HI James! I noticed this Q&A was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had?