Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have an 06 Chevy Impala SS 5.3L engine. Having over

Customer Question
heating issues, Engine Hot A/C...
I have an 06 Chevy Impala SS 5.3L engine. Having over heating issues, Engine Hot A/C off keeps displaying. I have replaced in the last two months the radiator and hoses and the thermostat. Still having the issue. I noticed on the over fill tank two hoses, one that runs from the cap to the tank, near middle of tank. One that comes out the top of the tank, this line isn't attached to anything. Should it be?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
7/29/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

The hose you are talking about is the overflow. This is where the coolant will drain in an overheat condition.

As far as your overheat issue. Make sure the cooling fans are working. Make sure the system is properly bled of air. Check the operation of the heater. If the heat blows cold at idle this is a sign of a water pump or air in the system. Air can also enter the cooling system due to leaking head gaskets or a cracked head or block.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can.

Please Rate 5 stars and it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

My fans are working. How do I properly bleed the system? I make sure when filling the radiator that it has burped a few times and add as needed. Turn the heat up and let run for about 10min, heat works great

You need a scan tool that can read live data and check for codes. You need to look at the engine coolant temp sensor data with a scan tool. This is the next step.

Is the coolant scanner different then a ordinary vehicle coding scanner? I have a scanner and my only code is for an EVap leak

Does you scanner read live engine data?

Dan, ASE Certified Technician