Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2013 chevy silverado...P0016 DTC plus squeeky/tapping noise

Customer Question

2013 chevy silverado...P0016 DTC plus squeeky/tapping noise coming from low front of motor...replaced cam sensor but P0016 came back and squeeky/tapping never went away. Dropped the lower engine cover and notice the harmonic balancer wobbling in sync with the squeeky/tapping noise....Replaced harmonic balancer and cleared codes...DTC P0016 never returned...no more harmonic balancer wobble...squeeky/tapping noise still there... removed all belts and started truck....squeeky/tapping noise still there coming from the harmonic balancer even though it no longer wobbles...What next?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

This noise is most likely related to the valve train. I see alot of lifters that fail and cause this type noise you are describing. This noise would come eithin the center of the engine near the valley under the intake.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Using a stethoscope on different places all over the engine I am 99% sure the noise is coming from the crankshaft right inside the engine wall. The squeeky sound is similar to metal rubbing on dry rubber...also the tapping sound doesnt really sound like metal to metal...that being said have you ever come across a crankshaft related problem like a spun bearing, etc. with similar sound characteristics.

I have seen spun bearings but that should result in low oil pressure and usually a constant squeak and no tap noise. A rod bearing could cause a squeak and tap but again oil pressure would be affected and it is just not as common as the lifters.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please cut & paste the following...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SgEVvZskWk...this is exactly what I am hearing

If yours sounds identical then that does appear to be a lower end noise. It is time to remove the pan so you can start the inspection process on the main bearings, thrust washer, and rod bearings.