Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It keeps over heating changed thermostat and hoses, we

Customer Question
It keeps over heating...

It keeps over heating changed thermostat and hoses

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

We changed the hoses and got new coolant

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

Hand someone tell me head gaskets

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Chevy?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I changed my thermostat and hoses myself that simple

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

But im not understanding why my car is over heating still

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
7/28/2017
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 10 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. First things first, did you bleed the air out of the system after you replaced the hoses and thermostat?

is that by the vehicle running with coolant reservoir cap off?

and squeezing the hoses over and over and over until you see no bubbles coming out. and yuo keep the system full while doing so

hi David
no i didnt
bout to go do now
i dont see any smoke from exhaust or pipe nor is my oil milky
do you think it will be head gasket

no, I dont think so

Should I try Blue Devil??

absolutely not. that stuff will cause more issues than you can shake a stick at

Should I try Blue Devil??
I've bleeded it
Ok ok
Should I try Blue Devil??
I've bleeded it
Ok ok
So what's my next step David

with the vehicle running and up to temp make sure the upper and lower radiator hoses are equally hot.

Yea there both hot... it takes awhile then they start to heat up bout the same

are your fans working?

Yea they blowing good
Coolant is bubbling then eventually it starts running hot

ok, you need to have a block test done to see if there is combustion gases getting into the coolant

I had a shop do one they drill a bolt out of the thermostat housing for when I changed it a bolt broke off. They did a pressure test I believe and said the block was giving a different reading or something like that. Then they called back this morning and said I had a cracked head gasket

a cracked head? or a blown head gasket?

they did a block test with the blue fluid ?

im not talking about a pressure test

Ooooh ok Nall I done got it! They said pressure. Is that something I can buy? I'm hesitant to drive it and cause more damage.
Ok

you can try autozone

hows it going?

Ima just put another motor in it I guess. Head Gasket work is expensive in Richmond, Va....2300! I found a motor and mechanic to put it in for 3000. What do you think??

If the engine failed the block test and combustion gases are getting into the coolant, verifying the head gaskets being the problem then yes, thats a decent deal.

please accept the answer and leave a positive rating for me if you are satisfied with my assistance. just remember, by accepting the answer and leaving a rating doesnt mean we are done. im here to help you until the vehicle is fixed.

whats the ? for?

you asked me what I thought.

david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic